Sunday, December 20, 2009

Landslide! (Snow on the Panels)

We had our first significant snowfall since the panels went up. Significant is an understatement -- it was about two feet of snow. It started early Saturday morning. Here's what the roof looked like as night was falling on Saturday night.



Needless to say, the panels were covered over completely with a healthy layer of snow.



We were out early Sunday morning to get a head start on shoveling. The panels were still completely covered. Then we heard it -- it sounded like thunder but it was actually an avalanche. When it was over a sizable group of panels on the main roof were visible again (and the front sidewalk suddenly had three feet of hardpacked snow so we had to reshovel it.)

Since then there's been some melting but there's still snow on the main roof panels and the garage roof (including panels) is still covered.

I didn't expect any production given that so many panels were covered but it was a rather sunny day and by afternoon we were producing more juice than we used.

Snow on the panels is something I worried about because I suspected (correctly, as it turns out) that snow would let go and slide off in large sheets. That's what happened but the only consequence was a need to do some reshoveling...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am the sort of hombre who loves to try hot stuff. Presently I'm building my private photovoltaic panels. I'm making it all alone without the aid of my men. I'm using the net as the only path to acheive this. I ran across a really brilliant website that explains how to contruct photovoltaic panels and wind generators. The internet site explains all the steps involved in solar panel construction.

I'm not sure about how precise the data given there is. If some guys over here who had xp with these works can have a see and give your feedback in the page it would be awesome and I'd highly treasure it, cauze I extremely enjoy [url=http://solar-panel-construction.com]solar panel construction[/url].

Thanks for reading this. You people are the best.

Dave Conifer said...

Hi Hombre,

I don't really know much about how the panels are built and how they do what they do. Hopefully somebody will comment.

I'll put your note up as a page on the blog. Maybe that'll help you collect more information...

...dave